Tagged: RNE


So I now have my RNE protocol. A little slip of very important paper!
And it was very easy. I was seen an hour before my appointment, very quick and efficient.
However others who arrived at the same time are still waiting nearly an hour later…. It does seem luck has a lot to do with it!
Next stop, getting an address!


The week ahead

I guess the week ahead is kind of exciting…

Monday morning go to get RNE and also a SINCRE (a piece of paper that I might need to get my CTPS apparently).  A CTPS is a new one I only found out about the other week…  It’s like a passport for jobs… Every job you have you get a little stamp in it from what I understand, and a necessary thing to have to be able to start a job here.

Tuesday morning, apartment hunting!!  Going to see quite a few over the course of the day.  So maybe, with some luck and fortune, this time next week I will be in the process of signing and agreeing all the necessaries to be able to rent and move in to somewhere.

Then, once I have the signed contract I should be able to go and open a bank account it seems…

And as I got told off for not posting any pictures lately, here’s some of Copacabana from a night out last weekend on a roof top bar.

Copacabana panaroma

Copacabana at night


It was pointed out to me that I’m using all these acronyms without explaining what they are…
So here goes!
An RNE is an identity card. You must get one within 30 days of entering the country of a temporary work visa. You need to go to a federal police station – the one at the airport is the main one in Rio for RNEs for foreigners it seems. You need four things – your passport, your visa, your visa application form and two passport photos. To book an appointment you do it in the federal police website, helpfully all in Portuguese.
A CPF is like a tax ID. It is necessary to have one to do just about anything here! You don’t need a visa for this. You do need ID (passport) and prove of your parents names. For me, that is my visa application form from the British consulate. If it’s a birth certificate it needs to be legalised and translated.

With those two things, and prove of address, you can open a bank account. Proof of address is tricky, and not quite got that 100% figured out yet!

More waiting

After arriving, with a bit of delay at immigration (no idea why, the border agent just disappeared for a while then came back saying something about it being my first time in the country with the visa), I was hoping to get my RNE as soon as possible.
Turns out the first appointment isn’t until the 28th, a couple of weeks after I arrived. And for the CPF I need proof of my parents names. This would be a legalised and translated copy of my birth certificate, which I don’t have (that went in for my visa application…), so may have to wait until I have the RNE before I can apply for the CPF. I’m going to try tomorrow with the visa application form itself (it has a stamp from the consulate) and see if that is sufficient.

Bottom line is it’ll be Feb before I have enough paperwork to open a bank account… And Feb before I’ll be in a position to look at renting somewhere. Which is a shame as I’ve found a nice place. I just hope it is still available when I’m in a position to sign!